Friday, December 17, 2010

Can't get them all every time


Headed to the beach with Clint. Weather was milder than usual. We shot at some honkers at first light. I sailed one to the tree line but couldn't find it. Clint sailed one also but it flew out of the hunting area. Damn! That would have been my first honker. No other action at first light. We were forced to move. I set up at the marsh on a log at the west side of the pond and took down a mallard and a widgeon. Clint hunted at the west pond and the ditch and got 6 birds including a huge white wing scoter.


Went to the Point with Clint and it was slow! I did shoot my first ringneck. Clint took 1 teal and 2 buffleheads. Had an interesting thing happen. Saw some geese and I blew my call and peeled a cackler off the flock. It circled us twice before it actually landed on the duck decoys. It stayed with us until we picked up all the decoys to pack up.

Went back to Willapa and this time we hunted the river side in hopes of getting some geese. It was an interesting morning as I forgot to grab my waders when we left the house. I had to drive all the way back form Aberdeen to get the waders. It sucked. We made it to the Willapa right at shoot time. We brought a dozen full-bodied lessers. We set up but turns out we were on the wrong side of the field. Lesson learned for the next time. We opted to just hunt ducks to salvage the morning. I ended up taking 1 bufflehead, 1 widgeon and 1 mature and fully plumed out drake merganser which I will get mounted.

The next day, we headed to the beach. I wasn't too jazzed about the weather forecast. The wind was good, but it was sunny and very few ducks flew. Tide was also high and we couldn't get across to the other side of the area. We got skunked and called it a day at 9:30 a.m.

So this brings my total to 73 ducks and 2 geese:
7 Spoonies (Shovelers),
5 Buffleheads,
4 Bluebills (Scaup),
7 Mallards,
1 Ringneck
1 Gadwall,
2 Common Merganser,
10 Pintails,
8 Green-winged Teal,
28 Widgeon,
1 Speckle Belly Goose,
1 Cackler Goose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home