Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Elusive Greenhead


Clint, Tim and I set up for another hunt at the beach. The weather was similar to last weekend's weather minus the rain. At first shoot, the widgeon got up and off they went to places unknown. I took down my first cackler geese for the season. It was a lone bird flying to meet up with a flock. I led it for about 4 feet before I shot. It went down for a crash landing.

We lost quite a few birds from diving. It was maddening thinking I had a bird in the bag, only to not be able to retrieve it as they dove and never came back up. We shot at a big group of teal also. Sometime in the morning I finally shot my first greenhead for the season. I was 1 duck short of a limit. Clint got his limit. His last bird came at literally the last minute of shoot time. Tim was also 1 shy of a limit.

So this brings my total to 43 ducks and 2 geese:
3 Spoonbill,
3 Mallards,
1 Gadwall,
1 Common Merganser,
9 Pintails,
6 Green-winged Teal,
20 Widgeon,
1 Speckle Belly Goose,
1 Cackler Goose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home