Friday, November 05, 2010

Matt's Bull Widgeon


Finally got Matt out on his first hunt for 2010. The boy has been busy! Racking up 8,000 miles on his 10 week old Chevy truck. He took a day off so I took the day off too. I picked him up at 4 am and headed to The Point. We had a big tide swing to manage. I knew there would be no water in front of us at shoot time.

While we waited we watched cacklers pile up on the mud. It started out with maybe 20 birds, by time it was all said and over there must have been 200 geese there including some ducks mixed in. As the water the started coming in, so did the ducks. We had mallards to our right which was soon joined by a ton of widgeon.

I got Matt ready to shoot as the widgeon got closer. There was a lone mallard that came up to shore right in front of us. We passed on it and waited for the other birds. Soon they were in ranged and we slammed 4 widgeon. 3 drakes and 1 hen. I drake was a mounter so I had Matt take that one for his mount.

I ended up shooting a merganser. Long shot and I'll take it. We had 2 more Widgeon come in, but Matt was asleep. I took one down and had a gun jam to shoot the second bird. No other action left and we were in the truck by 2:30 and home by 4:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home