Monday, January 23, 2012

Almost to the end

A week ago, I went with Marc and Tim R. to try to shoot geese on a feel free to hunt field in Brady. Marc and Tim got there first, but they were still beaten by 2 army guys. They were nice enough to let us hunt with them. We had a pretty decent spread and there were a lot of geese around.

We had a group circle us 3 times but they bumped off. We found out why. Another group of hunters set up just upwind of us and they were still setting up. We didn't even know they were there in the dark. At that point I knew our hunt was over. We stayed till noon without success and despite lots of birds around.

I tried the same field again this past Sunday, but this time I was going for ducks. I had scouted the southern part of the field which was half flooded. When i got there another truck was already parked at the first parking spot directly across the trees and pond. I talked to them briefly to make sure I wasn't going to be too close to their spot. It was all good.

The filed was muddy! I set up just north of the slough with about a dozen dekes. There were lots of ducks flying before shoot time. I forgot my damn duck calls and knew I was handicapped. I had one group get close and I shot 1 down. As it got lighter, the ducks were flaring and probably because I wasn't blended in that well. It's hard to hide in this field with nothing on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home