Monday, January 25, 2010

Last Mallard


I borrowed Mike's Aquapod and headed to the Chehalis to try again. It hadn't rained all week and as suspected the trail leading to the south end of the field was high and dry. I ended up paddling out to the south end through the main pond.

I was the first one there and wasn't sure if I would be able to find the spot in the dark and in thick fog. Somehow, I got to where I wanted to go. I used the power plant stacks as a guide with it's light beacons.

I set up at the slough and could hear birds everywhere. I saw three pintails fly through before shoot time. Shoot time came and went without much action. I heard lots of geese fly overhead but with the thick fog couldn't see them.

The fog was thick until about 10 a.m. at which time a lone greenhead dropped in on the dekes. I took him down on the second shot but he still swam to the other side of the slough and into the tall grass where I spent the next 15 minutes looking for him. I finally managed to root him out and tossed him in the pod.

Two teal dropped in but I didn't get a shot off as they got spooked by a shot from the distance. This might very well be the last hunt of my season. I'm at the Puyallup Sportsman's Show next weekend helping out Matt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home