Monday, December 28, 2009

A whole lot of missing


Went on a solo mission again. The weather forecast was a bit off. I noticed a bit more wind compared to what was predicted. It was a southeast wind. I set my decoys and waited for 1.5 hours before shooting time. I couldn't quite catch a nap as the wind was putting a chill to my body. 20 minutes before shooting time I blew my Primos Fat Lady to see if anyone was around. To my surprise, a few mallards came and did a fly by in the dark. I kept still and waited for any more responses. Next thing I knew mallards started dropping in on the dekes but only staying for a few minutes.

By shooting time I had a few to the right of the dekes at about 30 yards. I took aim at them and missed them all. That was frustrating. I had some other birds come inspect the dekes including widgeons. I missed everything except for one lone drake green-winged teal. I gotta keep my cheeks glued to the gun stock when I squeeze the trigger. I keep shooting above these birds. Gotta fix this quick as the season is only a few weeks away from closing and I have no duck meat in the freezer.

There were geese there, but they left soon as the shooting started. Some were behind me apparently and I didn't even know it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home