Monday, January 18, 2010

Chehalis Valley

I had a 4 day weekend. I took a day off just to clear my head and take a breath. It was pouring rain but I decided to go do some scouting. I headed for the Chehalis valley and to one of the game units I've been curious about for some time now. Despite the rain, I went for a walkabout and discovered some great areas to hunt. I took note of the flooded marsh and a field I saw geese using as a rest stop. I would be coming back the next day.

I couldn't sleep for some reason. I was basically up at 2 a.m. in the morning. I didn't leave my house, though, until about 4:45 a.m. It was a fairly short 45 minute ride to the spot and I was surprised that there was another truck already there and shortly after arrived another truck showed up with a small boat in tow. We said some greetings and disclosed my plans to hunt the south field. Those guys were hunting in the ponds and clued me to the other truck whose owner is already out on his favorite spot somewhere in the middle of the main pond.

I set out on my long walk. I had 27 decoys on my pack, my gun, and my blind bag full of ammunition. Needless to say, I was a bit heavy. As I made my way to the trail, I soon discovered that the entire trail was submerged - it certainly wasn't like that the day before. I had some doubts in my mind, but I pushed on. I got to the south end of the field and had some difficulty getting my bearings because of the fog. I thought for a second about retreating, but I pushed on. I made my way west and soon found my bearing to the spot where I wanted to set-up.

I arrived at the spot and surveyed the area for the best position along the old fence line, the flooded field and the pond to the north. I decided to set my dekes on the east side of the fence line and towards the corner. Not more than 10 minutes after I set my dekes that a lone drake mallard dropped in 10 minutes before shoot time. Then, 5 minutes before shoot time, cackler geese flew over my blind at tree top level and landed about 200 yards from my spot.

Legal shooting time was quiet. Then, 5 minutes later it was game on. I can hear shots being fired from a distance. I decided to leave my blind and try to use the fog to sneak up on the geese - that idea was short lived, as the geese busted me before I got close to take a shot.

There were birds in the area. I could see geese flying around looking for spots to land without being shot at. I could see ducks flying also looking for a place to land. I had 2 mallards try to set in on my dekes as I was coming back. I missed both. I had another mallard land about 50 yards north of my dekes when I was away from the blind. I sneaked over the other side of the fence and before I could get a shot, the bird flew. I had another chance with a lone mallard, but although I got close enough, I still missed!

I came away from this place with a few lessons learned. Although I didn't hit anything, I still felt that I had a productive hunt and learned a new area - the hard way. I will need a kayak of sort to get around this spot when it's flooded.

I had plan to hunt 2 days, but decided against going back to the valley without anything I can float back in with, especially with the predicted downpour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home