Sunday, May 25, 2008

Westport Halibut


After much frustration trying to get out and fish, a weather window finally opened up. I called the gang for a possible halibut trip out of Westport and watched the forecast like a hawk. The forecast just kept improving and I made the decision that it's go time.

I don't know Westport at all, so it was a shot in the dark. All I knew was that the halibut grounds were at Grays Canyon, some 40 miles due west of Westport. It was about a 2 hour ride out in decent water - 4 foot rollers with some slight wind chop. The boat handled this water beautifully and averaged close to 10 GPH with a speed average of 18 MPH. The bra crossing was OK, a little snotty but I was never worried.

Once we got to Grays Canyon it was time to hunt. Our first drift over 545 ft was uneventful. So I moved the boat to shallower grounds. I found water that was between 475-500 ft deep. On our first pass Matt picked up his first halibut ever. We made another pass and Clint and I had a double. On our final pass we got Tim's fish. We had a boat limit and I was stoked. First blood on the boat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home