Thursday, October 05, 2006

Tuna


We booked our tuna trip with Deep Sea Charters out of Ilwaco from last year's Sportsman's Show. We chose to go on Sept 16 based on Tim's friends past experience.

The one day trip made for a very long day. We had to check in at the charter office at 2:15 a.m. Tim and I didn't get to Ilwaco until 10:30 the noight before. Needless to say, we got no sleep. The no sleep contributed to my sea sickness when we finally left the dock at 3 a.m.

I was sick all the way to the fishing grounds. When we finally got to tuna town I was able to take a power nap before the first fish was caught (which was caught by me - I paid my dues I suppose). The nap was enough to make me feel better. I was fine for the rest of the day.

I was really surprised that we did not have any live bait on board. We relied on trolling which produced 18 fish for 10 passengers. I believed that if there were live bait we could have easily doubled the numbers. We didn't even have any rods rigged and ready to fish the slide when a fish got hooked.

We hope to improve the experience next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home